last posted Dec. 6, 2012, 5:21 p.m.
3 earlier thoughts
Option: Amazon Kindle Publishing for Blogs
- Automatic delivery to devices
- Conversion is fully automated from RSS feeds
- Subscribers lists and incoming payments are fully handled for you
- Near-zero visibility into subscriber base, reports available are info-poor
- Price is out of your control, royalties are low at 30%, payments are intermittent
- Automatic formatting is really bad. There's no published spec for optimizing your HTML. In my tests on a blog which used fully-validated HTML5, whole sections of articles were randomly reordered, and headings were orphaned from articles by page breaks nearly 100% of the time.
- No support for non-Kindle devices, not even using Kindle apps for iOS.
3 later thoughts